firstname.lastname@example.org +1 707 799 8675
I am a senior software developer based in Brooklyn. I have been writing software for the web professionally since 2005. I have two passions in software. The first is building beautiful tools for people to share knowledge, advice and experience. The second is creating reliable infrastructure that is easy to use and maintain.
Outside of the tech-world I am an Eagle Scout. I enjoy contributing to open source projects, writing, reading, listening to music and wandering through cities and countrysides.
Author & Speaker
- Author of the book Real World SRE from Packt Publishing. 2018.
- Published in Issue Three and Issue Six of Code Words. 2015 & 2016
- Spoke at LinuxConf 2014, Strange Loop 2017, SRECon 2017, SRECon 2019 and others.
Open Source Developer
I am the lead on the open source project fog-google (24.6 million installs) and also contribute to a bunch of other small projects.
Site Reliability Engineer November 2018 to present. Working on the Customer Reliability Engineering team. I help customers achieve Google-level reliability by partnering with them to implement SRE operational best practices. I spend my days traveling to ensure that customers are happy with their reliability on GCP and building tools to make it easier for customers to adopt and evolve SRE practices.
First Look Media
Lead Site Reliability Engineer March 2017 to October 2018. Migrated three services from Colos to AWS. Maintained Terraform config and AWS for company. Improved deploy reliability, wrote new features for most services and refactored entire ECS infrastructure. Mentored engineers around infrastructure, reliability and architecture design. Automated capacity planning, started a postmortem culture, and improved performance and reliability of our CMS platform. Wrote Go and Node.js with extensive work with a Graphql API.
Hillary for America
Staff Site Reliability Engineer January 2016 through December 2016. Promoted reliability in both our web serving infrastructure and data analytics pipelines. Survived constant attacks with only 15 minutes of downtime the entire campaign.
Technical Lead August 2015 to January 2016.
- Led optimization efforts for holiday traffic. Cut average site load time in half and shrunk average API response time by two magnitudes.
- Managed a team of three full time software engineers. Helped define code review and code style policies for the development team.
Site Reliability Engineer April 2012 to March 2015.
- SRE for Google Compute Engine in London and San Francisco. My job included being part of an oncall rotation and writing software to maintain, monitor and optimize hundreds of thousands of servers globally. I also spent a decent amount of time analyzing processes used by the teams I worked closely with to try and automate people out of a job, myself included.
- While on SRE I also worked on Google Cloud Storage and designed and built Google Cloud Status.
Software Engineer August 2011 to April 2012. I worked on Punchd, Google Offers and Google Local.
Software Developer January 2011 to September 2012. Maintained backend app. Migrated to AWS.
Software Developer April 2009 to April 2011. Built Answers, improved wiki and image processors.
Software Developer 2005 to 2009. I was a software developer contractor dealing mainly in web design and Linux systems management. Had various internships at larger organizations during this time as well.
BSA Camp Oljato
Nature Director Summer 2006.
Camp Counselor Summer 2002, 2003 and 2004.
Computer Science, B.S. California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. Fall 2006 - Spring 2011.
Recurser Recurse Center, New York. Spring 2015